Quality, Safe Education for All Students
By rescinding the current system of accountability for investigating campus sexual assaults, Betsy DeVos is endangering college students across Michigan and the nation. As governor I will work to ensure every report of sexual assault is thoroughly investigated by police, no matter where it takes place. Requiring colleges and universities to inform local police every time there is a report of a sexual assault, and putting in place strict accountability measures to ensure these reports are investigated. We must end the reprehensible practice of colleges sweeping sexual assaults under the rug once and for all.
“High quality education is not a privilege – it should be a right for all Michiganders. Our state assault on educators must end in order to pave the road.”
As your next governor, I will work to make our educational system world class. As an entrepreneur, I know that businesses invest in communities where people have the education and skills they need to be successful. As a husband and parent, I believe that communities thrive when the local public schools are strong. And as a Michigander, I won’t rest until every child has equal access to a quality public education as guaranteed by our state’s constitution.
Our educational system has shown a steady decline in recent years because Lansing politicians have cut funding. Meanwhile, charter schools have seen a dramatic expansion, siphoning funds from public schools without improving education quality. I understand how important it will be to make public education funding a priority again.
On K-12 education, I believe we must:
- Invest more resources across the K-12 education system – addressing funding and infrastructure issues once and for all.
- Attract, recruit, and retain the best educators in the nation by paying them like the professionals they are and treating them with respect.
- Expand vocational education and job training and retraining.
- Hold charter schools accountable to the same high standards as public schools, both fiscally and academically.
- Eliminate for-profit charter schools. Per-pupil funding should not be used to pad the bank accounts of education profiteers like the DeVos family.
- Change the way we fund our schools so at-risk kids receive the resources they need to succeed.
On higher education, I will work to:
- Create a tuition incentive formula for Michigan college students that allows them to reduce their debt if they stay in Michigan, and eliminate their debt if they stay and create jobs.
- Reprioritize funding for Michigan’s community colleges, public colleges and universities, to counter years of disinvestment by Lansing politicians, in order to reduce college costs for all students.