Equal Rights to Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness
I believe discrimination in any form for any reason is morally wrong. I stand with people who face daily opposition simply to achieve the equal rights they deserve as Americans.
Women’s Issues are Everyone’s Issues
It’s unconscionable that women still have to fight to be paid equal money for the same work. I will work with the strong women of this state to get them this basic human right they have been denied for too long. When a woman is denied equal pay, her whole family suffers the economic consequences of that discrimination.
I also strongly support a woman’s constitutional right to privacy and will work to roll back recent laws that have restricted reproductive freedom.
I will work toward:
- Repealing the “rape insurance” law.
- Equal pay for equal work.
- Affordable child care.
- Paid family leave for mothers and fathers.
- Increased funding for Planned Parenthood.
- Incentives for more girls to pursue STEM education.
We also have a lot of work to do in Michigan to address the daily threats women face to their safety and security. This work must include:
- Encouraging schools to provide medically accurate and comprehensive sex education, including thorough education on consent.
- Requiring colleges and universities to turn over sexual assault or felony investigations to local police.
- Working to pass a law that empowers law enforcement to remove guns from the homes of convicted domestic abusers and convicted stalkers.
- Creating a domestic abuser registry.
- Eliminating bail for domestic abusers.
Shri for LGBTQ
I am a strong supporter of LGBTQ rights, and more specifically, I favor amending the Elliott-Larsen Civil Rights Act to include sexual orientation and gender identification.
I would also extend these amendments to include LGBTQ protections in Michigan’s Ethnic Intimidation Act, as well as inclusion in the equal protection and non-discrimination provisions of Article I, Section 2 of the Michigan Constitution. No person should be discriminated against for any reason, and I support legislation that ensures the safety of all citizens.
I will also support:
- Additional protections for transgender women.
- Elimination of gender identification on driver’s license, or the ability to self-identify.
- Inclusive sex education in schools.
Shri For Seniors
Protecting our older generations is a top priority. As governor I will fight any effort at the federal level to slash Medicare and Social Security.
I will stand behind stricter punishments and preventive policies for elder abuse and scams against seniors.
I will also:
- Work to reduce the cost of prescription drugs. No one should have to choose between paying rent and paying for life-sustaining medication.
- Offer free university classes for those over 65 to promote lifelong learning.